Friday, November 28, 2008

windhoeked.

Tomorrow is the day of departure. I can't believe how quickly my time in Windhoek has flown by. I have been here for 3 and half months but, at times, it feels like moments. We'll be spending a week in Cape Town and then its back to the northern hemisphere. It all became a little more real when I realized the next time I talk to my mom it will be in person, in O'hare, in the States. Although I am looking forward to coming home, I am still terribly sad about leaving Namibia and the family I have found here.



Yesterday we celebrated Thanksgiving by cooking the meal for our staff as an appreciation dinner. The meal was incredible since everyone made their favorite dish from home. It was quite on experience to have 24 cooks in one kitchen! Thanksgiving was also a little bizarre because of how hot it was! Its summer here and the flowers, trees, and bushes are in full bloom. No crappy rain? What? Besides eating my face off for most of the day, I was able to visit my urban homestay family in Katutura one last time. It was wonderful to see them again- and the dogs had puppies!



The day was pretty perfect and reiterated how much I have come to love the people I have spent these past few months with. These people have helped me grow and learn in unfathomable ways. Although all of our experiences have shaped me into the person I am today, it was certainly the different perspectives of all of the passionate and unique individuals in the program that helped me make sense of the "big picture," and encouraged me to rise above the college student stereotypes and do something positive for the world with my life.



Back in August, I came to Namibia not knowing what to expect. Being a Chinese major and certified Chinese culture lover, I knew very little about the history and politics of Africa, let alone in Namibia specifically. I had done a bit of research prior but nothing could have prepared me. Namibia is a truly gorgeous country and it is filled with incredible and lively people. However, it is facing serious challenges.



The World Bank and IMF have declared Namibia a "middle income country" and with that declaration a lot of aid is leaving Namibia. However the GNI, which determines income level, does not take into account that Namibia has the highest income inequality in the world. The rich are monster rich while 40% of the people can not meet their basic needs every month. The poverty and the wealth stagger you equally.



Development is slow and politics has become a dirty word. The ruling party, SWAPO, has complete control over the country. There is no clear or strong opposition party and the people are very concerned about this. However, SWAPO was Namibia's liberator and the people vote based on history and not issues. It is the failure to address issues that will cripple this fragile democracy. Namibia needs a strong opposition party to ensure issues are addressed.



The history of Namibia is violent and holds heavy chains in the ideologies of people today. The people were oppressed for over a century and Namibia is just beginning to recover from Apartheid. Namibia has a weak civil society, with its citizens being severely uneducated about their rights. However, the hope and intelligence is present to ensure its triumph as a nation. The country is only 18 years old and has done well for its self since Independence.



Today, I walked through downtown Windhoek for the last time and, as always, forgot I was in Africa. It is a beautiful city with all the modern conveniences. But, 10 minutes outside the city center people live in tin shacks and scramble for water. As easy as it is for me to accuse this of being a problem solely in Africa, it would be ignorant of me to ignore the realities of similar living styles in my own country.



If I have learned anything this semester it is that nothing is simple. Development and democracy are complex issues that can not be prescribed but have to be experimented with and studied from every angle.



Namibia has changed me in ways I can not even begin to describe. I have seen what poverty and complete destitution looks like. I have seen children suffering and dying from HIV/AIDS. I witnessed democracy in action. I have seen communities striving to do better, with what little they have. I have seen people working tirelessly to protect their democracy and their way of life. I have seen people find hope in the face of despair and to live off of nothing. I have been in awe of the spirit of this nation. The philosophy of ubuntu (I am because you are) resonates in every aspect of daily life. People matter here. Perhaps that is the greatest lesson I have learned: the importance of the individual and relationships you cultivate with them.


A speaker from earlier on this semester told us that "Each time you travel, you leave a little bit of your heart everywhere you go." I am beginning to wonder how many more places I can give my heart to. Maybe I'll just have to come back?

5 comments:

Kalin said...

Meg, I am literally emotional at this post, I am SO PROUD OF YOU for this ENTIRE expierience look how much you have gained and learned?!?! I need to tell you what an inspiration and relief this blog has meant to me, you are such an amazingly talented writer and reading this abroad blog RIGHT before i take my own journey has really settled my mind at moments when I'm freaking out. I look up to you immensely and love you so much

Kay

Kim said...

oh megan lee
this post makes me so wish I could talk to you right now. I'm so proud of you. I think the fact that you learned "nothing is simple" is very valuable, because it is true and also, if we realize that, then we always take the time to look at a situation in multiple ways, multiple perspectives, which is vital to understanding, really understanding, the situation. Also, the fact that you have been able to recognize the need and hurt but also see the beauty and joy in the situation is equally important. Too often it is one sided, either something is completely tragic or it is fine how it is, but rarely is that the case. Anyways, I guess I just wanted to say I really enjoyed your post and it is good for me to think about these things, thanks. Enjoy your time in Cape Town and try and enjoy your transition back. It will be hard, but you are well equipped to handle it.

Kim said...

oh, also, ubuntu changed my life too

Jory D. Sanders said...

awesome.

you'll have to tell me about ubuntu sometime.

kate said...

Meg,
You are absolutely amazing. I have no words right now for everything I've just read. Something you may appreciate: instead of leaving your heart everywhere, think of this "I am a part of all I have met". In this way you will keep these wonderful people with you always. Helpful? Please come back into my life soon! Thank you for being such an inspiration.